The Ministries of our Church
The Bible says this about some problems that confront us:
I think we have many reasons to set aside seven days – one day/week, starting with January 2017 – and to dedicate us to God through fasting and prayers. If you have health issues, please ask your doctor if it is ok for you to fast for 24 hours, once a week, for seven weeks.
I’d like to invite you to join me in this spiritual exercise. Starting with the first Monday of January 2017, (January 2) and continuing for seven weeks (each Monday of the week) let’s make these Mondays special days of fasting and prayer. Here is a statement from the Spirit of Prophecy, “For certain things, fasting and prayer are recommended and appropriate. In the hand of God they are a means of cleansing the heart and promoting a receptive frame of mind. We obtain answers to our prayers because we humble our souls before God…Let brethren unite in fasting and prayer for the wisdom that God has promised to supply liberally.” Counsels on Diet and Foods, 187
For 24 hours – if your health permits – put aside the physical food (you can use just water) and focus on spiritual issues that strengthen our spirit and heart. Take more time to bring to God with a humble heart, your problems, yourself, and the common issues decided together in the church.
The day of fasting starts with Sunday evening at sunset, until Monday evening at sunset. On Sabbath, in the church I will talk more about this issue. Don’t hesitate to ask questions (you can use the email) on this issue. Here are some topics for our prayers during this time of fasting and prayer:
- Love and Unity in the church – the Body of Christ
- Direction, vision for our spiritual journey in 2017
- Reception, hunger, preparation for the Holy Spirit
- Authenticity in our Christian life
- Jesus’ spirit of love in our families
- A missionary spirit – love for Jesus and for the lost souls
Spiritual Benefit of Fasting. According to Jake Kail, there are 4 benefit of taking time for fasting and prayer. I am sure that could be more, but I’d like to mention just four today:
- Drawing Near to God. James 4:8 says, “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.” Fasting is one of the ways that we can draw near to God.
- Overcoming the Flesh. “For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life a 3. Humbling Yourself
- Humbling Yourself. Humility is a premium quality in the kingdom of God. And it is up to us to humble ourselves. 1 Peter 5:6 says, “Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time.”
- Obtaining Spiritual Breakthrough. Though the ultimate victory was secured by Christ’s finished work on the cross, we live in an age where the spiritual battle is still raging. When Daniel prayed and fasted it affected the spiritual battle going on in the heavenly realms (see Daniel 10:1-14). When the disciples were not able to cast out a demon Jesus said, “This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting” (Mark 9:29).
A little more on why and how to fast.
May the Lord who is abundant in grace fill your heart with His love.
Pastor M. Baciu